Image Map

August 25, 2015

To Whom It May Concern [Back to School Edition]

[source]

Dear College Freshman,
The day is here! The day you were living for earlier this summer has finally arrived. Today you are moving into your college dorm and are officially a college freshman. Crazy! Exciting! Scary?!? I vividly remember this day, my family moving me in, my dad helping all the parents set up the computers and the moms all talking about their grown up girls. I'm sure it's the same for you today. You'll feel all kinds of emotions, so let your mom feel them and let her cry if she cries. You might feel a bit sad when they drive away, but that's okay, new is always scary. Don't let fear hold you back, though. Make friends with everyone on the hall, introduce yourself to all your professors,  join clubs and just embrace your first year. College can be a great ride, so take [safe] chances and seize the moment.

Dear College Soccer Player [or any Student Athlete],
Here we are again, another season. Another year of two a days, sprints, drills, games, winning streaks and losing. While you might not embrace all the hard work, embrace the cut, college athlete body you craft each day. One day you'll wish you had the time to work as hard as you are now. Times will get tough for your team, try and be the leader that brings them out of it if you can. Hold on to the fun times as a team on the bus, in the dining hall and in your apartments. Eat healthy when you're in season and indulge in the off season, because life is meant to be lived. Don't let wins determine your happiness, sometimes it's your year and sometimes it's not. Never forget, 'teammates my chance, friends by choice'. GOOOOOOOOD LUCK THIS SEASON!

Dear Professors,
Thank you for teaching and for showing up everyday. Sometimes I think it might be harder to teach kids that fail to show up for class than lil tater tots [not a teacher so can't say for sure]. While I'm ten years removed from college [you've got to be kidding me, when did I get so old?] I want to say thank you for teaching at a University. Thank you for taking an interest in higher education and for trying to lead students to where they want to go. I hope you know that even though I fell asleep in your class or didn't crush my assignment like I should have, I did enjoy learning and appreciated your time.

Dear College Senior,
If you remember one thing from this post, HOLD ON TO THIS YEAR! Hold onto the moments or they will fly by and before you know it you'll be graduating. Keep going to class and keep your grades up. Enjoy your Lancer days and fun Fridays, but remember you did attend college to get an education. Use this last year to finish up your degree, but also try something fun and new if you are given the chance. Make the effort to reconcile friendships that have fallen away, but don't stress about the drama. Unfortunately it never stops, you just realize how worthless petty drama is and are able to walk away a lot easier when you are older. Take lots of pictures, eat at the dining hall, hang with those you care about the most and RELISH the easy breezy nature that is your senior year. The real world comes knocking all too fast after graduation.

Dear Teachers,
First, THANK YOU! A bazillion times thank you! Thank you for restarting a new year of academics, with new students, new challenges and new adventures. Children are our future and while the school system is in no way perfect, the fact they can get an education here in America is a huge privilege and I appreciate all the work you do during the school year. I know there will be a lot of nervous students soon and I know y'all will do your best to quash their fears and help them learn this year. Best wishes for a fun and fantastic year, full of new successes and milestones. Now, how many days until Christmas break? I know you already have the countdown in your head ;)!

Dear SportySpice,
I know you are going to rock this year, sissy boo. I am so proud of you whenever I tell people you are a teacher. The students might be tricky this year, but I know you will do amazing things with each and everyone of them. I can't wait to come visit your lil muffins :)! YOU ARE FABULOUS!

What would you say to a new student, teacher or college kid?

linkinguphere

25 comments:

  1. Love this! I was just thinking the other day what I would say to myself if I was going back to school this week and knew what I know now!
    <3, Pamela
    Sequins & Sea Breezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun post!! I think there are few things I'd want to go back in time for and first days of school were always one of them! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet post. Sometimes I wish I was going back to college b/c of how much fun i had! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. i see a lot of kids preparing for school; Staples was PACKED yesterday with people dropping hundreds for supplies (crazy -- what happened to the dollar store?) but man, the excitement of starting college!

    kayla isn't looking forward to starting school LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would tell myself to chill a bit and not worry so much. I was so dang hard on myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great advice and wonderful words of encouragement!! they're special, just like YOU! hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. College students: You are excited about being out of high school and having a chance to "express" yourself more, but there is a certain point when you need to SHUT UP during classes. It is not necessary to ramble on about your personal opinions, rant about current events/politics/religion, or challenge everything that the professor says. People are there to listen to the professor, not you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE this post! My step-sister is moving into the dorms on Monday (she's going to the same college we did, and will only be 10 minutes away from us now!) and I swear I'm feeling all of these crazy emotions for her! It's such a fun/scary/nervewracking/exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cool post- reminds me of being a senior in college and not being able to BELIEVE my school career was almost over. :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  10. School has been back in session for a couple of weeks now in Arizona... and it has me thinking about the day I send Mia to school- AH! This was such a darling post, as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I stayed home and went to a community college and sometimes I wish I would've gone away. I don't regret staying home but there are definitely some experiences I missed out on.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a fun post! I think that the thing I would say to all of them is that now is a time for a fresh start; something that very few of us get every year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! And everything you said, I LOL at the take (safe) chances, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is great! I would say enjoy every second of it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a great post!! :) Enjoy the moment, it goes by so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is such a fun and creative post girl!
    lol my husband said to me yesterday 'one week in and i already need a break from these kids' and i said 'you get 3 months off. quit complaining' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww this was so sweet! And your sister does rock for being a teacher!! I hope she has a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these letters. Especially the one to teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. AS a teacher, I thank you! AS a teacher still on vacation for five more days - NO, it is not time to go back!!! Thanks for sharing at Tuesday Talk today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This made me cry, it's that time which could be why ha, but I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh man, all the feels for the college freshman! To be there again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh I love this!! What a great idea for a post. Makes me want to call all my teacher friends and give them lots of hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. And now I'm off to think of what advice I would have told myself in the past…

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fun post, sweet girl! Sometimes it feels like college was yesterday. And then I realize that I've been graduated for...eek... 7 years now!!! Scary thought!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your comments! Make my p!nk day and leave me some love!