Image Map

May 30, 2014

Let's Talk Lifting

Morning and happy Friday, my lovely friends.

Today, I'm doing things a lil different and talking about lifting. Summer is here and everyone wants to look their best, so we're watching our diets and adding in that extra cardio class or run. But, what I find most women don't know is that lifting is JUST as beneficial, if not more to getting that svelte, seksi body. So, I thought I'd share five of my favorite lifting exercises, to help y'all achieve your best body possible. I'm not a trainer by any means, but have found these exercises have really made a difference for me. I've included links for form cues, but if you have any questions, feel free to email me.

***PSA: LIFTING WEIGHTS WILL NOT MAKE YOU BULK UP LIKE A BODY BUILDER! Nothing makes me more ragey [besidesconstantnegativity] than women neglecting weights because they don't want to look like a dude! LADIES, I'm a former college athlete and I've been a gym regular since I graduated and have NEVER been seen as big or bulky [muchtomydissapointment]. Unless you are consistently moving MASSIVE weight, you will not look like a dude! So, get your butt lifting!!!*** 

1] Pullups: Hands down one of the best full body exercises out there [minus the burpee]. There are different styles of pull-ups and I find the classic or close grip works the best for me. Since incorporating them 2x a week I've seen a drastic change in strength and can now do three sets of eight, no assistance. I'm hoping to get to five soon.
[source]
Assisted pull-ups: These are a great place to start, if you can't quite get pull-ups. Obviously, you'll need a machine and if you aren't sure how to use the assisted pull-up machine, just ask someone. You'll get stronger faster than you think, I promise.
[source]
2] Squats: Wanna get a tight @$$ for those tiny bikini bottoms?!? Start squatting ladies. I'd gotten away from squats for awhile, but am so glad I'm back on the bandwagon. I'm now in the plate club and can actually see the change in my pants. Don't just take my word for it, here are more reasons squats are awesome!
[source]
Without weights: If you don't want to use a bar, don't have access to a gym or are worried about hurting yourself, just do body weight squats.
[source]
If you want more of a challenge, but don't want to use weights, try squat jumps.


3] Good Mornings: After working you quads, you need to make sure you're also strengthening your hamstrings. You can do RDLs too, but I prefer Good Mornings. This exercise works best with a bar of any weight, but be careful not to go too heavy.
[source]

4] Triceps Extension: Triceps are the sexiest part of an arm in my opinion. I've always worked them the most and love all triceps exercises. You can do extensions standing or seated, just make sure you aren't arching your back in either exercise.
[source]
Bench Variation.
[source]
5] Chest Fly Cable: While chest exercises don't add in the bubbie department [drat], working your pecs help with definition and lift. I know cables look intimidating, but once you try them [correctly] I'd bet money you'll be hooked.
[source]
Dumbbell variation if you don't have a machine. You can also just use a bench instead of a ball. I like to change it up with a ball to work my core at the same time.
[source]
Favorite Video of the Week: This guy is amazing, it's incredible what our bodies can do. If you can't watch the whole thing, you HAVE to check out the 1:17 minute mark. Your mind will be BLOWN!


Have a wonderful weekend ladies! WOOP WOOP, FRIDAY DANCE!

*linking up here again & with this awesome lady!*

17 comments:

  1. I would rather weight train than cardio any day of the week!!! Thanks for some new exercises!!! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh new exercises i havent tried before! fun :) i love weights, makes me feel stronger than cardio ever did! i still love cardio, just not as much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love to find new workouts! I love my cardio though but saving this for when I up my weight training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes x 10000000! i'm a total bro and lifting is MY JAM. i love it when other women love lifting as well and it drives me crazy when they're all "oh, i don't want to bulk up". NO YOU WON'T BULK UP!! i did insanity and didn't get as lean as i wanted and what did the trick? p90x. so awesome.

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE doing weights. I absolutely hate cardio. I only do one day a week of cardio but 3 days of weights... I think I need to fit a bit more cardio in... boo. Happy Friday!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you girlfriend! I freaking love this post. I wish so much I could do a pull-up, but in no way can I. My gym doesn't have an assisted pull up machine either, however, when I used to have access to one, I used it whenever I could. It REALLY helps build strength. I did back squats last night and my booty and quads are screaming this morning. And great job for posting "Good morning's". I LOVE defined hamstrings and I feel like a lot of people shadow them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can do...oh, 2 pullups, and I probably should not be impressed with myself for that. I'm definitely convinced that I don't have the body type to ever 'bulk up' but I should probably try to graduate myself from tiny dumbells sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes to all of these things especially the pull ups and squats. some of my favs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. also just got to 1:17 in that video. holy crap. i am impressed

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love me some squats! I can only do assisted pull-ups :-( I like lifting on the yoga ball like that...add some core training with it ;-) thanks so much love for linking up! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frickin LOVE this post! It's so silly when girls think they'll get bulky from like, LOOKING at weights ;) I have slacked on the weights and am excited to work it back into my routine more. Jared and I are hitting the weights tonight actually!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. give me weights any day! I'm working on my pull ups now, I just need to remember to try and do some every day so I don't lose them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh, this makes me feel so bad about myself! I suck at working out, I just try and play sports as much as I can for exercise - usually tennis and volleyball a couple/few times a week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. SEXY STRONG BODS!!! :):) You rock my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy crap!!! That dude is pure muscle!! I can't even believe it.

    Also I want to workout with you!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your comments! Make my p!nk day and leave me some love!