Image Map

May 25, 2013

Blog Every Day in May [Day 25]


Day 25, Saturday: Something someone told you about yourself that you'll never forget (good or bad)
"You Live In  Bubble"
[a la my best friend T]


Yep, Miss T told me that back in college.

I can't 100% remember exactly WHAT action of mine
made her utter this statement,
but it's one she continued to use
and one that I have now come to cherish.

I believe the remark was made because
something bad had happened to someone near us
and I was shocked.
 Maybe a really bad breakup, or a rumor that
got out of hand and really hurt the person,
but I can't remember.

All I remember is feeling shocked about the situation
and then hearing:

"That's because you live in a bubble.
Where nothing bad happens,
and there is rainbows and butterflies all the time"!


Now, understand, this was not said with malice,
rudeness or in a mean way.

She was just summing up the attitude I 
exuded towards life
and how 'out of touch' I seemed
with the sadness and hurt of the real world.

Key word being seemed.

Did I know there were bad things in the world?
OF COURSE
Did I think only bad this happened to bad people?
NOPE

Buuuuuuuuuuut, my parents were VERY protective
while I was growing up and I led
a very sheltered life until college. 

I still believed in my Prince Charming
coming in on a white horse
to save me.
[We women don't need to be saved,
but I do believe in having a prince charming companion]

I still believed that people were fundamentally kind
and would treat each other with respect.
[It's more apparent that people are JUST out for themselves
more than helping others]

I still believed DIVORCE was only 
for bad people.
[I only knew 2 divorced parents growing up,
which led to this assumption. TRUST ME,
I am NO LONGER that judgmental, scouts honor]

I still assumed everyone believed in THE GOOD
before the bad.
[More people are pessimists than optimists, so sad]

Much of that changed in college,
once I got around people from different backgrounds
and walks of life. 

I managed to keep my 'innocence' but
college was truly a period of growing up.

Anyway, getting back to the story.......
[sheesh I'm rambling]

Once I realized the point T was trying to make,
I embraced  her assessment.

I do live in a bubble, because I HONESTLY DO
think GOOD this happen more than bad.

Have I become more cynical?
YES, sadly I have.

BUT, I still am that bubble girl at heart.

I'm glad T found such a wonderful way
to describe me and my essence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your comments! Make my p!nk day and leave me some love!