Image Map

May 16, 2012

I'm going to PRISON

Yep, you read that correctly, I'm going to Prison this weekend.
Please send letters, thanks!
[gotcha]

Ok now, don't fret, I am going to prison this weekend, but I am only visiting.
[not a funny joke? my bad b]

One of the mission teams at my church, is involved with the Kairos project in our state.

What is Kairos you ask?

Kairos' mission is "To bring Christ's love and forgiveness to all incarcerated individuals, their families and those who work with them, and to assist in the transition of being a productive citizen."
I've seen the pamphlets around my church, as well as heard testaments from people who are on the team, and always thought, "I think I NEED to do this".

Don't ask me why or HOW I came to this conclusion, but for the past 3-4 years I've always felt a heartpull when a Kairos weekend is mentioned.

Cue a few months ago, when I mentioned this to Sportyspice after service one day. She surprisingly told me she was interested as well, so we sought out a member to ask questions. The past few months have been a whirlwind of getting approvals, back ground checks and sadly finding out our schedule wouldn't allow us to participate in the WHOLE week retreat [biiiiiiig sad face].

God is good though, she and I will be participating in the CLOSING this weekend with the Kairos team. We are both very excited for this opportunity and a little nervous too.

The Kairos team lead at our church has been amazing. He is constantly sending us email reminders, working with our schedules and always always stressing how SAFE this will actually be. We won't be with the general population and he has 2 special people who will just be looking out for us at the prison. Such an amazing man and Sportyspice and I are so grateful for all of his help. God knows exactly the kind of cheerleader and team leader we both need and he has provided.

The full Kairos team left today and Sportyspice and I will be joining later this weekend. Sweet friends, if you get a moment please pray for our team and for the work we will be doing.

Pray for safe travels, safety, the ministry and for the men the team will be ministering to.

I am excited/nervous for the opportunity God has given us
and PRAY we will do His work.
[via]

7 comments:

  1. Good for you, lady! My grandfather used to be involved in a similar group through church - very inspiring:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great! I have been wondering how I might be able to get involved in something while I am in China. Its a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to worship! Totally motivates me to get involved. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go you! You forever awe and inspire me with your goodness and kindness. I'm glad I have someone like you in my life, and Im sure the people you visit will feel the exact same way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so amazing! I give you props for doing something like that!! :) You're such an awesome person!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!!! this is so fabulous! you are such a amazing person. this will be a very rewarding experience!

    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome girl! I am so proud of you and you are going to do so awesome! I "visited" someone in jail once and it was craycray! Eye opening actually. Everyone should have to experience it at least once.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your comments! Make my p!nk day and leave me some love!